Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day #40 - Rocky Road (And I Don't Mean Ice Cream)!

For the first time I definitely get the sense that our riders are road weary.  I mean, who wouldn't be?  I watched Kevin participate in two Ironman Triathlons in Lake Placid (he actually swam/biked/ran in 4 or 5!).  Finishing that grueling race, to me, is a matter of sheer determination along with a good dose of stubbornness (aside from the obvious need for physical fitness).  Well, I can see determination and stubbornness in this situation also - for both Kevin and Emi.  This trip is a HUGE undertaking logistically, physically and mentally. Never once have I doubted Kevin's ability to finish.  Just like the Ironman races, when Kevin sets a goal for himself he WILL finish it.  Though I don't know Emi as well, I get a sense that she is very similar in this regard.
Yesterday was a battle of mind over matter - matter being the ever present winds, very rough roads, physical pain and fatigue.  They persevered and adapted.  Emi wrote in her blog that they figured out if they rode on the 6" painted white line on the side of the road it was smoother. I picture a gymnast riding a bicycle on the balance beam - luckily there isn't a 4' drop on either side of that white line! The "mind" smoothed out the "matter".  Eventually with a change of direction of the road, the winds were no longer such an obstacle either.
I think yesterday may have been one of those days Kevin referred to in his letter when he said "I'm sure I'd feel pain, frustration and doubt, wondering about my ability to go on and make it."  Well, I guess it wouldn't be a journey without challenges.  Yesterday was definitely a challenge that they both met head on and won!
Tuesday morning Kevin and Emi left Marathon and pedaled for 92 miles where they stopped for the night in Valentine, TX.  Congratulations on a job WELL done!!

1 Click here to leave a message for Kevin:

Dan and Pat said...

Reach down brother if it was easy everybody would be doing it you have that Harrington head and will succeed. Riding with the King and Queen

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I love hearing from you!